• socialIcon
  • socialIcon
  • socialIcon
  • socialIcon
  • socialIcon

Study options

Study options

For a successful exchange, you are required to ensure that the classes you wish to take at KTF fulfill the requirements of your degree programme at your current university. You should also check that you have the necessary pre-requisites to take the classes and that they are within the subject areas outlined within the student exchange agreement between Catholic Theological Faculty and your home university.

Please note that course availability changes annually and some courses are also subject to changes due to timetables and unforeseen circumstances.

Different types of study sessions

Teaching methods at KTF may also differ from your home institution. Please see below a general overview of the types of study sessions you will be expected to participate in whilst on exchange.


Normally delivered by academic staff, lectures involve presenting to a large number of students. Students are expected to take their own notes during a lecture. Academic staff will direct students to use online learning resources connected to the topic of the lecture.

The lecture will often introduce you to a certain topic which might then be discussed in more detail in a seminar. Lectures require compulsory attendance.

In addition to the lecture, you will be given a list of books at the beginning of the semester and you are expected to complete the required and recommended reading on certain topics.


A seminar involves a smaller number of students compared to a lecture. During a seminar, students discuss a lecture or specific topic. All students in the group are expected to participate in the seminar. Preparation and reading beforehand are essential aspects of seminars.

Working in groups and self study

In some cases students are required to work in groups on projects and assignments together. Self study involves independent working, you will need to spend time reading, researching, revising and making notes outside of lectures and seminars.

Self study is an option for foreign students who cannot attend lectures and/or seminars taught in Czech language only. Our academic staff offer consultations in several languages. Detailed information can be found in the list of subjects.

Please note that all courses are subject to timetabling considerations and there may be changes in course availability from year to year.

Erasmus courses: Academic Year 2018/19

Erasmus courses: Spring 2018

List of all courses available at Catholic Theological Faculty

List of all courses available at Protestant Theological Faculty

List of all courses available at Charles University

Academic Departments

Important rule: you must take min. 51% of your subjects from the offer of your host faculty. The rest (max. 49% of subjects) can be selected from the other faculties of Charles University - if they correspond with your study field and there are places free in the course.

Last change: September 13, 2018 13:58 
Share on:  

Charles University

Catholic Theological Faculty

Thákurova 3, Prague 6, 160 00

Czech Republic

IČO: 00216208

DIČ: CZ00216208

Main contacts

Dean (Secretariat)

+420 220 181 244,

fax:+420 220 181 234


International Relations Office

+420 220 181 241


other contacts

How to find us